Saturday, July 31, 2010

Keggus the Silkscreen Prints

Inspired by vintage Gladiator movie and Pulp posters

Finally got around to take a pictures of these prints of my second silkscreen project. It's about 16x20 and has about 9 screens. Being only the second time I'm doing this, I didn't realize you can overlay the colors to make more colors. I made a screen PER color, which was insane.

The print before adding the text

There were a few mishaps along the way, but it's simply part of the learning curve. Mis-registration of the screens is the most common mistake.

On some, mis-registration works for it because "that's silkscreen"

This one looked kinda nice, too, and makes it a unique print

Another "unique print" with a slight mis-registration

Another mishap, is the level of transparency you put on the color

On some, mis-registration just messes up the look you're going for

This one just didn't work out right

Monday, July 26, 2010

Works in Progress...

War Elephant is finally getting some colors!!!

It has been a great summer for new artworks!!! Some of the digital pieces that I'm working on... 'Kinda cool balancing the art projects made from digital and through traditional means.

Digital Coloring Project... Texturing and Coloring a shaded drawing

 My last CLY CARD of the latest batch

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Igorot (Filipino Tribal)

I started a new Etching project depicting indigenous Filipinos. I used old photos of Igorots for reference.

I was pretty pleased of how this came out. I made the heads bigger on the etching

When I sketched these out, I fully intended on inking right on top of them. But I really liked how the sketch came out, so I inked over a tracing paper.

I liked how intense his eyes came out

 I really liked how the tattoos serve as great details to the piece. I'll post the plates and Etching prints soon. I started the male and the prints came out great.

I ended up altering the face a bit on the etching plate as the eyes/ nose got wonky

This is kind of a departure of what I usually do, which is pretty cool. I also feel like I'm getting the hang of using a brush pen.

I made the jewelry and tattoes different color as a guide for myself

Friday, July 16, 2010

New Etching colors...

 "Wiping" the plate with 2 sets of green (hair is different color)

New Etching color prints on different color paper... I'm starting a new plate next week, but here are the last prints from my first test plate. I'm getting the hang of the process now.

Forest Green ink on a Gray-Green pastel paper

Forgot the color ink on pastel paper

Blue ink on a Light Blue pastel paper

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Breaking in the New Sketchbook...

 EDIT: Here's another quick sketch

Some quickies using a Red Lead pencil and a Brush pen...

I miss the days Blogger allowed you to upload the images next to each other in a row...

Friday, July 09, 2010

New Silkscreen (in the works)

In the process of doing this new silkscreen project. I printed 2 of the 5-6 colors so far. I'm getting pretty excited since I haven't silkscreened since December.

Silkscreen looks a lot cooler with bright colors.

This is the silkscreen of the first figure from the last post. I'm not sure I'll print the others... This one took way too long to prep, in terms of the color layers.

Some color combos looked better than others

I printed the image in various paper colors to experiment on how the final print will look like. I'll post the finalized print soon.

There are at least 3 more colors that goes here.


Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Fashion Try-Out

Something I'm trying to Silkscreen... 'still trying to figure out the color combinations. I inked it using a Pentel Pocket Brush Pen, which is super awesome.

Fig.01~ I added the poodle since it seemed like it needed it.

Fig.02~ The face came out a little awkward, but I fixed it on the final.

Fig. 03~ I might change the clothing design. Not happy with this.

I'll post the colored and silkscreen version, once I finish them.