Friday, May 28, 2010

War Elephant (Trials and Error)

A silkcreen project that didn't quite work out as well as I had hoped... Studying the layers of body systems. I only drew one side and simply mirrored it. These are the original uncolored drawings done in Photoshop.

The Armor (supposed to be a "War Elephant" but looked like a Lion).

 The Body (underneath the Armor, inspired by Indian Wrestlers).

The Muscle (it'd be cool once this is colored with shades of red).

The Skeleton (probably not perfectly correct).

I was hoping to print them on tracing paper/ vellum or something clear so you can see through the systems. But it didn't print as well... the paper started to ripple with the paint.

This is how they are printed, ready to be folded into a booklet.

Once folded, you can see through the images on top of each other.

Once I figure out how to print this and not crumple the paper, I'll do more colors for each.

I think I'll need to print this on acetate through a printer and then staple the layers together instead if manually screen printing it. Folding the paper, also made the thing unnecessarily thick. Oh, well... trial and error.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

it does look great on vellum though! so you're screen printing this - and not doing it on a printer?

Alden V said...

Yeah... Hand printing is kinda cool but on works with limited colors. Although paying a printer would be a lot easier on drawings with more pictures. lol.

Carly Monardo said...

I really like it! I actually like it laid out on the paper like that, before it's folded.

Alden V said...

Thanks! The folds were another problem, since they did not perfectly crease.

Elliott said...

these look great man!

e