Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Keggus Scyllas

 This is the finished digital illustration with text.

I have no clue what the name means. I had to come up with a name at the last minute... This was my second Silkscreen project. The "guide" was illustrated by hand, scanned to, and colored in Photoshop.

 The finished art without text yet. 'Sat on it for awhile cuz I didn't know what to call it/ him.

Close-up. I really liked the detail of the coloring.

During the Summer and the Fall, I was getting obsessed with vintage movie posters and pulp magazine covers. So, I thought that I could emulate that coloring and layout style with silkscreening. I did 10-12  separate color screens on this poster which was way too ambituous.  But a great learning experience nonetheless of what NOT to do next time...

The sketch version.

This is the actual silkscreen. The way it works is that you have to print one color at a time. For every color, you have to make a "screen" through a grueling process. The colors and details did not come out as crisp and exact as the digital illustration as it was pretty hard to mix the silkscreen paints to match the guide. Some of the finer details did not match up perfectly, but it still came out pretty cool. I'll probably sell it sometime during the summer.

Kind of a bad lighting on this photo.

I did about 50 prints, but only about 30 came out great.


2 comments:

Arlington said...

Cool design Keep at it man. The Silk screening process does sound pretty complicated.

Alden V said...

Hey Arlington,
Yeah the silkscreen process is pretty complicated but a lot of fun when you get the hang of it.